Hey lovely people!!!! I know, I know it’s been a minute since I last wrote here. I’ve been super busy. April has been such an eventful month. So many lovely things have been coming my way and it’s not even over yet. When I last caught up with you I told you how I would be attending Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Cape Town 2017. So much has happened since then. In summary:
- Mercedes Benz Fashion Week got cancelled because of crazy Cape Town winds at the beach which were so unfavourable for the event.
- My family came to visit me in Cape Town.
- My sister graduated.
- Mercedes Benz Fashion Week was postponed and I received media accreditation yet again J
- I attended Mercedes Benz Fashion Week.
- I got to style a shoot for the first time ever which was such an exciting experience.
- I wrote so many tests and was overwhelmed with school assignments.
- I got invited and attended OnTrend Sa’s pop up store event.
- I got invited to Decorex SA’s Cape Town event which will take place this weekend from 27th-30th
For this post all I’d like to focus on is the highlights of Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Cape Town 2017. You can’t even begin to imagine just how bummed I was when the event got cancelled. And the worst part is I only found out when I got to the venue for my first show all dressed up and excited. The disappointment of having to battle with cold winds and make my way home after not even attending a single show.
Anyway, two weeks later the event had been rescheduled and AFI (Africa Fashion International) had contacted me yet again inviting me to attend the shows. This opportunity was even better as I got a media pass with access to the media lounge and ALL the fashion shows! Wow! I was too excited guys.
I attended almost all the fashion shows and sipped champagne at the Media Lounge in between the shows while I networked with other creative individuals in the fashion industry. I can’t express in writing just how grateful I am to AFI for giving me this opportunity. MBFWCT17 was 2 days long. I made sure to look the part as I graced the red carpet on both days.
The designers were just way too talented, the models way too beautiful and the collections way too amazing.
Some of my best shows were:
- The Intern by David Tlale: I loved this show because it consisted of young designers (who are interns for the famous South African designer David Tlale) showcasing their work. They were all so good. They inspired me and made me remember that my dreams of becoming a top designer one day are valid.
- Orapeleng Modutle Style Avenue: a talented male designer who designs the most gorgeous wedding and classic gowns. At least now I know where I’m getting my future wedding dress from lol. His work is too beautiful guys.
- Afro Mod Trends: this Ghanaian designer’s collection reminded me of the fashion in the ‘Gatsby age’ (for those who’ve watched The Great Gatsby). However, all the pieces had an African twist which made them even more unique and beautiful!!! It was so cool.
- Ituen Basi: this female Nigerian designer made sure to bring some of that Naija fire onto the runway with colourful and interesting fabric.
- Khosi Nkosi: killed it!!! His collection brought out the true regal beauty of the African woman. He even had curvy ladies on the runway with fitting dresses to flaunt their African curves. Babies with their mummies were included too. It was such a show!!!
- Maxhosa by Laduma: definitely a must-have for the upcoming winter season. The mixing of tribal prints and beanies in the collection was so cleverly thought out.
- Vernac: This designer proposed during his show!!!! Can you imagine. It was so sweet to watch and I feel so special to have been a part of it. Also, he had this gorgeous older model on the runway who just stole the show.
I also loved all the goodie bags we got especially the one from the Fashion Revolution collection which contained such cool products. (I did a box opening on my Snapchat(@teshieogallo) so make sure to follow me on all platforms)
There were so many moments I loved and I could go on and on but I should probably stop here because I filmed a vlog for you all to share my experience with me. Make sure to watch my vlog down below. Please please please subscribe to my YouTube channel and share this video with your friends who are fashion fanatics like we are lol
I will catch up with you guys sooner than you think as I have a few tickets to give away for Decorex SA Cape Town’s lifestyle and home décor event this coming weekend. You wouldn’t wanna miss out so stay tuned!!!
Until next time